Bill and Cathy McArthur Spring/Summer/Fall 2008: 23

    Monday, September 15 , Bill called his Sports Medicine doctor, Dr. Zuck, to get him to look at his Achilles tendon. Bill got an appointment for Wednesday afternoon. Bill drove Cathy to the gym and then went to LeGates farm market for 5 chrysanthemum plants for our containers. He brought them home and planted them. Then, Bill used the rake and shovel to rearrange some gravel in the driveway to fill up some holes. Bill picked up Cathy at the gym and both went to ACME for some shopping. Cathy spent a good bit of the afternoon washing the inside of windows. Bill drove to Wal-Mart to get a pair of sunglasses, to Lowe's to get a power screwdriver and a couple of 1x3 boards for under the solarium, to Starbucks for a cappuccino, and to WaWa for gas. Bill eschewed exercise in order to rest his Achilles tendon. We grilled a pork chop and eggplant for dinner.

    Tuesday morning was cloudy and very cool. Cathy went to the gym. Bill put the boards up under the solarium. He also got the deck ready for a house viewing in the afternoon. After lunch, we walked to the canal and back. We were gone while the house was shown by Theresa Senico of Apex Realty.

    Wednesday, Cathy went to the gym. Bill did a couple of crossword puzzles, watered the flowers, and wrote a blog entry. Bill's new straps for his Achilles tendon arrived and Bill put one on. After lunch, Bill drove to Somers Point for his appointment at Pace Orthopedics. He got a couple of X-rays of his ankle and saw Dr. Zuck. His Achilles tendon was judged to be OK. Dr. Zuck prescribed a night splint for his right foot. After Bill arrived home, we went for a 10 mile bike ride to the West Cape May bridge. Once back home, Bill ordered two night splints (because he believes in keeping the body in balance).

    Thursday, Mike Cosmo from Century 21 had a "Brokers Brunch" from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM at our house. We straightened up beforehand and bailed out to Cape May at 10:15 AM. Bill had printed out a list of Cape May houses in the price range from $300,000 to $600,000. We walked an 8 mile circuit to visit each of them from the outside. We ate lunch outdoors at the Lobster House around midway in our walk. We got home in mid-afternoon. Mike called and told us that he had 18 realtors at the brunch. We went to dinner at Lucky Bones. Later in the evening, Cathy saw a mouse running down the hallway. Bill set two mouse traps and refreshed our oil of peppermint containers in various cabinets.

    Friday morning found one mouse in a trap and the other trap cleaned of peanut butter. Bill took the dead mouse out to the trash and re-baited and set the other trap. Later in the morning, a small mouse got caught in that trap. Cathy went to the gym. Bill talked with Jim Sosna, who found a good table of the different property tax rates in Cape May County. We took a 6 mile walk in the afternoon. We grilled burgers for dinner. We caught another mouse in the late evening.

    Saturday, we found a fourth mouse in a trap. Mike Cosmo had a house showing in the afternoon, so we drove to Cape May and did another 8 mile walkabout, looking, from the outside, at properties on Pittsburgh Avenue, Wisconsin Avenue, and on Lafayette Street near our old marina. We liked the Pittsburgh Avenue unit the best. We ate lunch at McGlade's on the beach front. We stopped at ACME on the way home. We had a quiche dinner.

    Sunday morning was pretty chilly. Bill donned his new spring wetsuit and did a fishing paddle for a couple of hours. He saw some fish splashing, but caught none. After lunch, we took a 6 mile walk to the canal. Bill worked on some virtual tour videos for our house website. His favorite was called "Relax." We picked up our friend George Pechin and went to Jay's on Third in Stone Harbor for dinner. Our friend Craig Needles was the host for the evening. We met the chef/owner Jay and enjoyed a great meal.


        Bill and Cathy